Okavango Photo Safaris to:
Khwai River Lodge
The jewel of Botswana's wilderness has to be the Okavango Delta. Situated in Northern Botswana this magnificent wetland plays host to some of the most game-rich wildlife areas Botswana has to offer. For these safaris we have hand picked the so called “cream of the crop” as our destinations. Each of these locations offer some of the best wildlife viewing and photographic opportunities on the African continent. Each of these very carefully chosen safaris are 4 - 6 nights long, for between 4 - 12 guests. These safaris will be led by our Tusk Photo pro photographers, who will be on hand not only to make sure your safaris runs as planned, but also to offer guidance and advice around capturing many amazing images.
So what are the Safari highlights:
- Beautiful okavango delta scenes
- Potential for swimming lions
- Off-road driving
- Unlimited game drives for as long as we want
- Private open game viewers for our purposes
- No more than 6 people per vehicle
- Good photo opportunities with leopard, wild dog and possible other small predators
- A diverse population of general game including some specials such as sable and roan antelopes
- Elephant and buffalo are in abundance and possibility of rhino at Mombo
- 5 Star luxury accommodation
Arrive Maun Airport and fly to lodge. After a briefing and afternoon tea we depart on game drive
Early morning & late afternoon / evening game drives on open vehicles with all meals and snacks.
We do a morning game drive. Arrive back in camp for brunch and fly (or drive if selfdrive to Khwai) back to Maun in time for flights back home, End of tour.
Okavango Photo Safaris
Khwai River Lodge
The Khwai area which gives us the opportunity to off-road and to do a lot of photography at night is situated on the game rich floodplains of the Khwai river in the North Eastern section of the Okavango Delta. This pristine lodge offers some of the best game viewing in Botswana, the area is well known for its unrivaled Wild dog sightings, as well as amazing large predators, lion and leopard. The Khwai area has also got arguably one of the highest populations of Elephant together with other species such as Giraffe, Lechwe, Zebra, Baboon, Waterbuck and much more, not to mention some of the finest birding and the area boasts a species count of more than 420 bird species. We will be staying at the luxurious Belmond 5 Star Khwai River Lodge on the banks of the Khwai River. Each air-conditioned room has unobstructed views of the river just to round off this life changing experience.
The Mombo Concession known as the “place of plenty”, comprises 45 000 hectares of the Moremi Game Reserve and is located on Chief’s Island in the central Okavango Delta. In the interior of Chief’s Island, mopane woodland is interspersed with belts of Kalahari sand and acacia. Towards the edges of the island, regular seasonal floods create shallow floodplains dotted with wild date palm islands and riverine forest. Mombo offers arguably the best big game viewing in Africa with prolific concentrations of general game such as giraffe, zebra, warthog, red lechwe, tsessebe, wildebeest, kudu, elephant, buffalo and impala. Abundant predator sightings include lion, spotted hyaena and leopard. Chief’s Island is also home to the only white and black rhino found in the Okavango Delta. The birding, a result of diverse habitats, is equally attractive. Mombo Trails Camp has been created so that it blends in with its environment and can be easily taken away, leaving no scars on the concession and the plants and creatures that live here. Eight elegantly furnished, luxurious and spacious guest tents with en-suite facilities are situated under large, shady trees, with a variety of the area’s wildlife often within view.
The Vumbura area comprises 60 000 hectares in the northern Okavango Delta that includes a diverse mosaic of habitats, from permanent swamp with small palm islands to seasonally inundated floodplains, acacia woodlands, and extensive mopane and Kalahari appleleaf stands. The area is known for its scenic beauty and diversity of wildlife. In addition to large herds of elephant and buffalo in seasonally varying degrees of concentration, majestic sable antelope are a highlight here and share the plains and woodlands with zebra, wildebeest, tsessebe, impala, lechwe, kudu and giraffe. Healthy populations of Predators include, several resident prides of lion, as well as leopard, cheetah and hyaena, while wild dog are a particular regular sight. Birdlife is abundant – Okavango specials such as Rosy-throated Longclaw and Black Coucal are present in season. Little Vumbura is a beautiful camp built unobtrusively beneath a canopy of an ancient Okavango forest, each of the 6 well-appointed beautiful stylish tents has en-suite facilities and a deck with incredible vistas. A plunge pool and reading area overlook the floodplains and a star deck leads off over the water from the dining area.
- Day 1: Arrival and first Game Drive – We arrive in Maun from our international destinations and fly into the lodge. After refreshments and a briefing you will set out on your first game drive. Keep a lookout for the numerous species that inhabit the area providing almost unlimited photographic opportunities.
- Days 2 to 4 or 5: Game drives and Photography – After an early morning wake up call and a light continental breakfast consisting of cereals, tea, coffee & juices you will begin your early morning game drive. We keep a lookout for the resident Wild Dogs, Lions, Leopards, Elephant and more. Your sightings will allow the opportunity to witness and photograph the complex interactions between animals as they go about their daily lives. We return to lodge to enjoy a brunch – depending on the photography that is. In short if the animals are very active and we are busy with lions on the hunt we can stay for as long as we need to. After brunch you may join your Tusk Photo Host for photographic tuition, or you may choose to relax, or enjoy the view from your private verandah watching the variety of birds and animals that visit the lodge fronts during the course of the day. After afternoon tea with cakes and pastries you will be ready to set out for your afternoon/evening game drive. Here we aim to capture wildlife in golden light and into the evening. When we finish the evening session we return to Camp where we have pre dinner drinks before enjoying our delicious dinner. Finally, after liqueurs and coffee around the camp fire you are ready for bed, lulled to sleep by the sounds of the bush.
- Day 5 or 6: Final Game Drive and Farewells – On the final morning, your final game drive of this safari is followed by brunch, before we head off to the airstrip and fly back to Maun. End of Safari.
Included in this Safari:
- Services of Tusk Photo hosts
- All meals, teas & coffees. Most dietary requirements can be catered for. Please advise us of any specific dietary requirements in your booking form.
- 4 or 6 nights’ full board accommodation (depending on which safari is booked)
- Drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages)
- All game drive activities
- Flights from Maun Airport to Mombo / Little Vumbura and back again.
- Additional freight seats on flights to accommodate photographers up to 30kg luggage per person
- Visas if required
- Flights from Maun to Khwai River Lodge (Please do enquire about flights should you not wish to self drive)
- Telephone calls,
- Purchases of a personal nature.
- International flights to and from Maun Airport from your home.
- Tusk Photo can arrange any add-on to this safari to places like Chobe, Savuti and more. Please let us know if you would like any info on potential add-ons and suggestions for safari extensions.
Dates & Prices
|Departure Date||Return Date||Tour Cost||SADC Rate||Availability||Location|
|19 February 2018||25 February 2018||ZAR||ZAR 56890||FULL||Mombo||View More|
|Hosts: Brendon Cremer |||Share:|
|8 April 2018||12 April 2018||ZAR||ZAR 34600||1||Little Vumbura||Book||View More|
|Hosts: Brendon Cremer |||Share:|
|5 May 2018||9 May 2018||ZAR||ZAR 25820||3||Khwai River Lodge||Book||View More|
|10 May 2018||14 May 2018||ZAR||ZAR 25820||FULL||Khwai River Lodge||View More|
Bruno Aita from Italy wrote:
Thank you a lot for the beautiful days I spend with Brendon and Villiers last March. I’ll repeat again this experience in the future…
Mike Cilliers from Kenilworth, South Africa wrote
We had an awesome trip. Brendon and Villiers were great. I learnt a lot. I am enjoying the blog, following the next guys on the trip. I know that Maria’s brother in Canada is also following the Machaba blog.
Chanan Weiss from Constantia, South Africa wrote:
…We had an incredible and hard to beat time in the Swamps. Brendon and Villiers were brilliant. Thank you for organising that.…
Tell us about your experience with Tusk Photo