Nine Adult Hyenas Intimidated by a Warthog at Elephant Plains …

Hendri Reports from the Sabi Sand Photo Safari:

We headed straight back to the hyena den this morning to see what the outcome was from that very strange visit from the very unwelcome warthog that arrived and made itself at home with the hyena pups in the burrow.

We arrived at the den to find nine large adult hyenas milling around – and the warthog was still there. The hyenas were totally perplexed and didn’t even try to engage the warthog in any type of confrontation. In fact every time the warthog approached the hyenas they all scattered with their tails between their legs. There was great confusion as pups ran around excitedly in all directions, while the adults fled and then came slinking back slowly, only to dash off again as the warthog turned to face them. It was tremendously exciting to watch as the determined warthog tried to take over the den.

We heard a leopard calling not far away and tried to locate it, but no luck there. But the diversion gave us time to take a deep breath and to calm down after the earlier drama.

We moved on and found White Rhinos. It was a superb sighting with Oxpeckers busy on the backs and faces of the rhinos.

Our second vehicle bumped into a young female leopard – the same young cat that we saw the other day. We joined them immediately and found her as she posed beautifully on top of a termite mound. There was no obstruction which made for some superb photography. We photographed her from all angles, close-ups, side views, wide-angle shots, you name it.

Then the rain came down quite heavily and we decided that it would be a good time to return to the Lodge for breakfast and a rest before the afternoon safari.

We returned to the young leopard as soon as we left the Lodge this afternoon. During our absence she had made another kill. She was lying under a tree feeding on her kill. We watched as she finished eating and then started to walk away. We hoped that she was on her way to a waterhole for a drink, but after she had strolled along for about five hundred meters she found a comfortable spot to lie down.

During our break at the Lodge we heard that two of the large Birmingham male lions had been seen and we thought it would be an idea to take a chance and to follow up on that sighting. On our way there we found a lone lioness. She was calling repeatedly, but there was no response. We arrived at the male lions to find them flat out, fast asleep. The sun had just set, so our spotlights came out. After a few photographs we made way for another vehicle and rather returned to the lone female. She was on a termite mound, but she was very restless and started to walk and call again. We followed her with our spotlight as she walked along and called nonstop.

Before we returned to the Lodge we detoured past the male lions again for more spotlight work. By now we have quite an impressive collection of lion shots in spotlights.

In the morning we would like to return to the lions, hoping that they will be more active …